Friday 22 February 2008

Compression Socks?

What is it with these long compression socks that people like Paula wear? I saw several people in the Helsby Half Marathon sporting these lovelly socks, but they aren't something I've ever considered.

Maybe I like my comfort too much, but a compression sock when I'm out doing a half marathon doesn't sound appealing. Let me know if you have tried them, but at the moment I'm just not convinced!

The idea behind them is that they squeeze the leg and help force blood back up to the heart. Does this work? I thought that your heart actually pumped blood less hard when running as it relied on the compression of the muscles to return the blood - this is supposed to be what causes fainting in the funnels at the end of the race.

So why do we needs compressions socks? Do they work - let me know your thoughts.

No comments: