Thursday 8 November 2007

The Running Has Stopped???

Not a good week for running. Monday work took it's toll and no time to get out. Managed a short run Tuesday, but didn't really feel good and the running felt overly hard. Yesterday again a rush of work prevented me getting out at all and looks like a meeting at the bank at lunch time will stop me getting out today.

Sometimes, these weeks are just sent to try us! Trying really hard to get back into training, probably need a race to focus on. Nothing arranged yet - still not sent the Helsby form off.

3 comments:

richard said...

Never mind K you could be grounded with a cold and a growling hamstring. I unfortunately am on the recieving end of both. I havent run since the great south. I am marathon training at the moment and am looking for a program that will develop/ strengthen my leg muscles to avoid this kind of injury in the future. Any ideas?

richard said...

nevermind keith it could be a growling hamstring and a cold that is keeoing you of the streets. I havent run since the great south and I feel that the above the above is really getting in the way of my marathon training. Once healed I hope to implement a program that will develop my muscles in a way that will prevent this type of injury returning. Any ideas??

Keith said...

Richard,

When you get back to running make sure you build up slowly & steadily. Don't run too early.

I broke a metatarsal 2 years ago. 13 weeks of no running then I started as if I'd never been a runner. Just did 3 one-mile runs each week on grass and slowly built these into longer runs (adding half to 1 mile per run per week) and then started getting some speed once I was comfortable with the distance. Also do some cross training.

Worse thing to do after injury is to try to recover too quickly. Meant I missed a favourite race, but I actually benefitted. Stamina & speed are better than 2 years ago!