Sunday 18 November 2007

Don't People Annoy You???

At a party I was cornered by another guest who started talking to me about my running. Without being asked to comment she started telling me that I was doing far too much running, that I would need a pace maker because of it in 15 / 20 years and that my diet was totally wrong. Anything I said back was greeted with the fact that she worked in a hospital cardiac department.

Not only did this upset and worry my wife - it was totally wrong and unnecessary. First, I refuse to take health advice off a 'lady' over a foot shorter than me and weighing probably a couple of stones more than me (being generous).

But what made her advice even more dangerous - remembering that she was claiming to be an expert from the cardiac department - was that at no point did she ask how much running I did or what my diet consisted of, yet she criticised both. How can anyone tell another person that their diet & exercise regime is wrong just by looking at them and seeing a tall, slim build? I'm not under weight - a BMI of slightly over 20.

3 runs of about 45 minutes each per week and a well balanced (and plentiful!!!) diet. How can her 'expert' advice be to reduce exercise when the government are advising the country to do more.

People can annoy me - especially experts who look at me and tell me what I should be doing!

No comments: